Launch date: 1993
The CD32 was launched in Europe during 1993 and quicly established itself, beating the PC CD-ROM in sales. However, it never really grew beyond its Amiga heritage, hosting a series of dire A500 ports. By the time developers realised the potential of CD technology, it was too late. Commodore has already entered liquidation, eroding the machines' remaining commercial support.
In 1994 a third party developer launched an expansion called the SX1 which turned the CD32 in a full Amiga with the capability ton add a keybard and other hardware. Full specs of the SX1 can be found at the bottom of the page.
** CD32 Specs**
Spellbound rev 3 © 1993 Commodore Electronics Ltd.
Amiga CD / Games System
CPU: MC 68EC020 FG 16 (32-bit data bus, 24-bit adress bus [max.8MB Fast] no MMU , max. freq. 16MHz)
ROM: MX8100 - 1002 PC
V 3.1 (40.60) © 1993 Commodore-Amiga
RAM: 4x HYB 514800 AJ - 70 (Siemens) = 512kB x 8 70ns ( 2MB Chip RAM )
CHIPSET: 8374 - ALICE (CSG)
VTI - LISA 1207 R0
8364 R7 PL (CSG) - PAULA (Old Good! :-)
AKIKO REV A (VLSI) - Gayle chip ? + emul 8520 ? + "BUSTER"
Graphics Accelerator (chunky->plannar)
ADV 101 KP30 - Video DAC ?
CHIPS: LC 78835 M (SANYO) \
CXA 1145 M (SONY) / CDROM control ?
CXA 1263 AM (SONY) /
AT 24C08 - (ATMEL) serial EEPROM 1kBx8
AD 589 JR
OSCILATORS : X1: 28.375160 MHz
X2: 16.9344 MHz
X3: 4.433619 MHz
CONNECTORS: "CN1" - Joy 2
"CN2" - Joy 1
"CN3" - Audio R
"CN4" - Audio L
"CN8" - Power - No standart 4-pin
"CN9" - S-Video - Mini DIN 4-pin
"CN10" - Composite - Cinch
"CN13" - AUX - Mini DIN 6-pin (keyboard, serial port)
"CN14" - (earphones, RESET, LED 1 a 2, volume ) 10 pin
"CN17" - CDROM 26 pin flat
Expansion BUS - 1-84 / 85-182 (1/20")
CDROM: Double speed , Multisession ( SONY, MITSUMI ?)
** Paravision SX1 Specs **
On the backside
- 25 pin parallel port.
- Serial port with 9 pin connector.
- Disable switch : for turning hard drive off.
- Serial port; 9 pin instaed of the more common 25 pin.
- Parallel port
- 101 keyboard connector; allows use of ibm keyboards or 4000/cdtv keyboards.
- Floppy disk drive port : allows up to 3 disk drives.
- RGB video port 25 pin.
- Audio input connection (6 pin mini-din) allows mixing of amiga audio and cd audio with a third stream.
- 37 pin IDE external hard drive port.
- Real time clock
- IDE hard drive connector 44 pin
- Full motion video passthrough for fmv/mpeg unit
- IDE hd connector 37 pin db37 standard
memory enable 72 pin connection from 1to 8 mb (with FMV 8mb is